For most people, foods high in carbohydrates are the biggest enemy of weight. According to nutritionists, it’s not the amount of carbohydrates that matters, but how quickly they are absorbed by the body.
Foods that are high in carbohydrates are divided by scientists into three groups
- Highly absorbed: carrots, honey and white bread.
- Moderate absorption: sugar, potatoes, bananas, rice, rice, peas, pasta, oranges.
- Low absorption: green and yellow vegetables, apricots, yogurt
This last group of products is your best ally in achieving a slim figure and maintaining a low weight.
Our weight is dependent on the total amount of calories we consume in a day. Therefore, we can convert grams of carbohydrates into calories. It also helps us to determine what percentage of the total calories in one meal is from the carbohydrate content.
You can convert grams to calories using the following formula
Step 1: Determine the total number of calories in your product. Carbohydrates are often divided by the names of fiber, sugar, and sugar alcohols. To determine how many grams of carbohydrates are in a product, you need to take the total amount.
Step 2: Carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram of carbohydrates, so quadruple the total weight of carbohydrates. For example, a meal containing 21 grams of carbohydrates has 84 calories. If our goal is simply to determine the amount of calories from carbohydrates, this is the last necessary step in the process.
Step 3: Divide the calories listed on the label by the total number of calories. The result will be <1>. To determine the percentage of calories coming from a package of carbohydrates, you need to know the total number of calories contained in a serving of food. This information is usually displayed at the top of the product information label.
It is important to note the size of the meal. The grams of carbohydrates listed on the product label should refer to the serving size shown; more or less per serving will skew your calculations.
Note that foods that contain carbohydrates and indigestible fiber do not affect the calories. Typically, the specific type of fiber is not listed on the label, so you have to assume that for every gram of carbohydrate listed on the food label, you can take in four calories, regardless of digestibility.
Believe it or not, a diet based on consuming certain types of carbohydrates can help you keep your weight down. For example, the polysaccharides found in starch are a type of carbohydrate. However, in order to take advantage of the benefits of polysaccharides, you need to reduce your intake of monosaccharides and disaccharides, such as glucose and white sugar.
According to many studies, people who eat a diet containing carbohydrates are more likely to maintain a weight in the normal range for a longer period of time than those who eliminate carbohydrates altogether.
It is recommended that about 60% of your body’s daily energy needs come from carbohydrates.
What are the main benefits of eating carbohydrates?
- Carbohydrates immediately counteract the feeling of hunger. As soon as they enter the digestive tract, they swell up and create a feeling of fullness. At the same time, they reduce the consumption of food in general.
- Carbohydrates, especially polysaccharides, are slowly digested by the digestive system and in rare cases cause famine.
- Their role in blood sugar levels is irreplaceable. Their slow processing and absorption into the bloodstream makes it possible to maintain the same level of blood sugar without rapid changes.
- Carbohydrates also help you to absorb fat faster. After the treatment, fat also carries energy to the body and prevents it from being stored.
- Carbohydrates play an important role in good digestion and result in regular cleansing of the gut and body, especially during weight loss. This requires a regular intake of whole grain breads, fruits, vegetables, various legumes and nuts.
In addition, a diet that is too low in carbohydrates can be harmful to your health.
Doctors and nutritionists are particularly concerned about the so-called Atkins diet, which is becoming increasingly popular worldwide, with people losing excess weight quickly.